If you’re not an NDIS or My Aged Care participant, speaking with your GP about your home modification needs is the best place to start. Your doctor can arrange a referral to a public or private occupational therapist (OT) who will be able to conduct an assessment of your needs at home.

If you are an NDIS participant or receiving My Aged Care or other government funding support, you need a home and lifestyle assessment by a qualified OT. This assessment can be arranged directly with an OT provider via your support program without the need for a GP referral. Your OT must be suitably competent to assess your individual needs and evaluate your living space for complex and minor home modifications.

If you’re a Veteran, contact the Department of Veterans’ Affairs to arrange OT assessments and receive home modifications.

If you’re self-funding your home modifications, please contact us directly to arrange a building consultation with our home modification professionals.

If you’re an older person or person living with a disability, home modifications change your living environment to reduce your risk of injury and lessen your need for ongoing assistance. Some home modifications also make it easier for carers and care workers to support you.

Examples of home modifications may include installing grab rails and hand rails, adding lifts or ramps for wheelchair users, making access changes such as widening doors, improving bathroom accessibility, kitchen modifications, landscaping and much more. It’s all about making your home suit your needs, for now and in the future.

Our NDIS approved builders in Melbourne can work with you to understand your specific needs and create a tailored plan for your home modification project.

We review each project enquiry on a case-by-case basis; this ensures we can source qualified professionals in non-metropolitan regions to complete your building modifications project.

Please get in touch with us to discuss your home modification project and location.

The Commonwealth funded Home Modification Information Clearinghouse website offers an abundance of resources about renovating, adapting and redesigning homes for older people and people with disability. Visit www.homemods.info for more info.

Plus, we’re always here to help. We’ll answer any questions you may have. Use our contact form to send us a message or give us a call.


For older people living at home in Victoria, the central funds for domestic assistance and home modifications are accessed through the Home Support Program and Home Care Packages of the Commonwealth Government’s My Aged Care scheme. My Aged Care supports people aged 65+ or 50+ for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

For people under 65, or under 50 for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, who are living with disability, the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) provides funding for simple to complex home modifications based on your needs.

The Department of Veterans’ Affairs provides financial assistance for home modifications based on eligibility for Veterans.

The NDIS rules that home modifications they fund need to be ‘reasonable and necessary’. Therefore, upgrades or replacements to any working (reusable) appliances, hot water systems, fittings and fixtures that lack clinical justification to support greater functional or independent use will not be funded as part of your NDIS home modification. This includes additional plumbing or electrical works beyond the reasonable and necessary modifications.

Yes, you can. While the NDIS funds will cover building works that are reasonable and necessary for your accessibility and independence, you may extend the scope of your NDIS home modifications if you have available funds and wish to do so. You may be required to sign a separate service agreement with Restore Home Modifications, but we will help prepare the paperwork and liaise with your OT or plan coordinator to arrange this with you.

Yes, we can! If you’re ineligible for a funding scheme like NDIS or My Aged Care but require home modifications to help you perform daily living activities and live at home safely, we can help. For self-funded building works, simply contact us to arrange a lifestyle consultation and site assessment.


We promptly issue a written quote for the proposed building works within five (5) business days of your Restore Home Modifications building consultation and site visit. Quotes for NDIS funding are carefully prepared according to Section 34 of the NDIS Act 2013 to ensure NDIS participants receive reasonable and necessary supports. Your funding application is more likely to be successful and approved faster when the quote addresses this legislation correctly, saving time and reducing administrative tasks for OTs.

We apply a low redeemable fee to cover the time and effort it takes to properly prepare your complex home modification quote. If you proceed with Restore Home Modifications for the quoted project, this fee will be deducted from the total cost of your project.

Also, we provide FREE quotes for simple home modifications and adaptions such as installing ramps or rails. We provide these quotes free of charge because we don’t need to inspect the building site in person and can look at photos to get a good idea of the work involved.


For building works over $16,000, Restore Home Modifications is legally required to arrange domestic building insurance (builders warranty insurance) to cover you in the unlikely event that we die, become insolvent or disappear. Restore Home Modifications also have public liability insurance to cover potential unforeseen losses, damage or injury to people and property. We also have WorkCover insurance to protect our company from losses due to staff illness or injury.

Depending on the extent of your proposed home modification project, we recommend you check that your home and contents insurance policy covers you for renovations. If not, you may need extra cover.


In short, we proactively collaborate and communicate with occupational therapists, support coordinators and other stakeholders involved in delivering NDIS home modifications for clients.

Traditionally, when planning and constructing modifications for NDIS and Aged Care clients, the communication gap between builders and OTs was problematic. To bridge this gap and ensure OTs are happy with the work done, Restore Home Modifications provides ongoing project updates for real-time visibility as well as a ‘builder’s debrief’ Completion Report. This final report contains ‘before and after’ pictures and important project details that OTs can use to arrange future works, advocate for additional funding and review client plans.

As a registered ‘Domestic Builder – Unlimited’, Restore Home Modifications is authorised by the Victorian Building Authority to perform all home building works. In short, we can do every task required to complete your home modification project, which removes the need for subcontractors. We manage your project end-to-end to guarantee excellent workmanship and timely completion.

Our OT Consultants are fully-qualified practising occupational therapists. They work as NDIS and My Aged Care occupational therapists within allied healthcare services.

Their role at Restore Home Modifications is not directly client-facing nor providing home assessments, but rather to consult with our clients’ OTs to offer guidance as subject matter experts. Our OT Consultants help maximise your funding application to secure the right level of funding for your needs.

Restore Home Modifications have trusted relationships with various NDIS and My Aged Care allied health professionals. If you need to arrange an OT assessment, please contact us and we can provide contact details.

Do you have another question not covered above? We're here to help.